With the enhancement project substantially complete at Wildcat and Middle fields, the new athletic field surface is ready for play, even on rainy days. But as with all things, there are rules for its use. Recreation Director David Donnellan says the rules are a mixture of making sure we don’t invalidate the warranty and making sure we don’t end up doing a lot of expensive, unnecessary maintenance.
Sports groups, who are permit holders on the field, always have first dibs, and they are responsible for making sure the rules are followed and the turf stays in good shape while they are on the field. But if the field is open, you’re welcome to play a pickup game, have a Turkey Bowl or help your kid practice those penalty kicks.
Signs are posted at the fields, but here’s what you need to know:
- Organized use is by permit only. For info, call 412-561-4363.
- No smoking, tobacco products or flames of any kind
- No food or beverages (except water) are permitted on the turf
- No chewing gum or sunflower seeds
- No glass containers
- No domesticated animals
- No chairs
- No metal cleats or sharp objects, including tent stakes or anything that will penetrate the surface
- Shoes must be clean and mud-free
- No vehicles (other than authorized maintenance vehicles)
- No bicycles, skateboards or skates
- No heavy equipment or heavy static loads
- Do not drag goals or other equipment across the turf
- Golfing, shot put, discus, javelin or other non-authorized use is prohibited
- Snow removal of any kind is prohibited
- Do not use chalk, tape or any adhesives or use any paint
Here’s the background on the project, its cost and construction .