municipal FAQs

At the Public Information Office, we’re always happy to take your calls, to answer your questions when we can or to refer you to another department that can provide you with what you need.  While working with Information Technology on our redesigned website, however, it occurred to us that many of you could save yourselves valuable time by checking for the information you want before phoning the municipality. If you haven’t visited lately, you really should check it out. It offers a boatload of public information, and is organized in a much more user-friendly fashion that the old site. We asked various departments to give us examples of questions residents ask frequently that could easily be answered by a quick trip to the website. Here are a few:

When will real estate bills be mailed?

June 1. Every property owner who pays real estate taxes by July 31 receives a 2 percent discount.

Can I pay my taxes in installments?

You can pay the school district portion in installments, half of the face amount by September 30, one/quarter by December 31 and the final quarter by February 28 of the next year.

Can I pay with a credit card?

Yes. You can pay online with a credit card through a third party, but there is a convenience fee that can amount to several hundred dollars, depending on the amount of your payment. Here’s how:

How can I register for a recreation program?

You can register in person at the Rec Center, 900 Cedar Boulevard, from 8:30 to 5 on weekdays, or download a registration form and mail it in, but the easiest way is to register online. You can find all your options here:

How do I sign up to receive email notifications regarding registrations?

The recreation department sends email notifications about registration and special events. You can sign up here: This is separate from LeboALERT, the free web-based service that sends you phone messages in case of emergency or allows you to voluntarily receive notifications in many categories via email or text message. Sign up to receive non-emergency alerts at

What are the monthly rates for parking garages or lots?

For the North and South garages, $99 for day permits (6 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.)
24-hour permits are $95 for residents and $104 for nonresidents. Night Permits (4 p.m. to 9 a.m.) are $40. For information about lot rates, hourly rates and a map of all available parking spots, go to

Can I pay a parking ticket online?

Yes. You’ll need your license number and your ticket number. Here’s how:

How do I dispute a ticket?

The District Judge, located at 680 Washington Road, hears appeals weekdays between 8 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. You must do this within 10 days of a meter violation and 20 days of a non-meter violation. For more details,

Can I get permission to dig up the streets and sidewalks?

Mt. Lebanon Public Works Department requires permits for sidewalks, cutting curbs and for street openings within the municipal right of way. There is no charge for sidewalk permits. Street openings cost $90, plus $1.50 per foot. For a list of all Mt. Lebanon services and the associated costs, check out the 2016 Comprehensive Fee Schedule:

What can I recycle? Is the recycling schedule different from the regular trash pickup schedule?

Recycling is picked up every other week on your regular trash pickup day. For a list of what you can and cannot recycle, and how to report a missed trash pickup, go here  Mt. Lebanon also collects waste paper, yard waste and electronic devices that cannot be taken to landfills. Learn more about those events here.

What do I need a building permit for?

Many, many things. It’s a good idea to speak with Chief Inspector Joe Berkley at 412-343-3475 before beginning a home improvement project, but the information here should get you started.

What is dye testing?

Various laws and codes prohibit the use of sanitary sewers to carry storm or surface water. However, over the years, some properties have for various reasons failed to keep the systems separate and some downspouts, driveway drains and other area drains have been connected to the sanitary sewers. The purpose of dye testing is to determine where this has happened so that property owners can correct the situation and bring themselves into compliance. You must have a current dye test in order to sell your house. Learn more here.

What ward do I live in?

I don’t know, 4 maybe? Check here to make sure.

I have an issue that I’d like to discuss with the proper department head and also give the commission a heads up.

The new website makes this easy.  Just click on “Contact Commissioners” or “Contact Staff” on the green bar that runs across every page of the website. There you’ll also find MTLTV, Mt. Lebanon Magazine and an A-Z search menu.  Also on every page, you can access meeting agendas and minutes, public documents or online service, including apps that make it easier to use the website from your phone.