In 1944, Dr. Arthur Haines started holding community meetings to increase interest in building a hospital in the South Hills. The Silhol family donated land on the corner of Bower Hill Road and Wren Drive for the hospital building, and the community began a fund-raising drive.
In October 1951, enough funding was in place to hold a groundbreaking. Construction would take two years and a few months, before the hospital welcomed its first patient on February 22, 1954.
Way Back is a new look at Mt. Lebanon history in every Mt. Lebanon Magazine, with photos from our archives and from the Historical Society of Mount Lebanon.