Residential driveway under construction.Chief Inspector / Zoning Officer Rodney Sarver

555 Washington Rd.

Pittsburgh, PA 15228-2018


8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F.

PH: 412-343-3408


The Inspection Office oversees all residential and commercial construction in Mt. Lebanon, both new construction and remodeling. Inspectors issue building permits and review plans for code compliance. The Inspection Office also inspects properties for compliance with regard to the building, grading, health and safety, minimum property standards, solid waste and zoning chapters of the Mt. Lebanon Code.

Building Permit Requirements

Before you begin any home project, contact the inspection office Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 412-343-3408, to determine whether you need a building permit. The following are some examples of situations that require a permit.


Additions require a building permit and a certificate of occupancy. Also include two copies of detailed construction drawings/plans and two copies of your property survey marked with the location of the addition.

Air Conditioning Unit

If you are planning on replacing, relocating or installing an air conditioning unit, you will need a mechanical permit. Provide two copies of your property survey indicating the location of the unit. For all R-1 and R-2 Districts the unit must be seven feet from a property line. See Chapter XX, Section 804.1 of the Mt. Lebanon Municipal Code.


A deck permit is required when building or replacing a deck. In addition to the application, you will need to provide two copies of detailed construction drawings and two copies of your property survey marked with the location of the deck.


A demolition permit is required for any commercial building or residential demolition.   A condition of obtaining the permit is confirmation from all utility companies certifying that services have been disconnected. An asbestos exemption or abatement certificate may also be required. For single family home demolition, submit a grading plan showing erosion and sedimentation control as well as final grade of the proposed lot and location of storm and sanitary sewer disconnect.

Driveway / Parking Pad

If you are building a new or replacing an existing driveway you will need a permit. The application requires two copies of your property survey showing the new or existing driveway. For further information, call 412-343-3408.


Electrical permits, plan reviews and inspections are provided by a third-party agency. Permits are required for the installation of new electrical service equipment, existing service relocation, service increases, as well as fixed appliances and equipment connections. Electrical permits are based on the size of service, number of circuits and type of installation. An electrical permit or fee information may be obtained by contacting Middle Department Inspection Agency at 1-800-362-6342. Proof of approval is sent to the Mt. Lebanon Inspection Office.


A fence permit is required for a new fence or replacement of an existing one. The zoning ordinance regulates the height of fencing. In single-family residential districts, fences up to six feet are permitted on side and rear yards. Fences are not permitted in front yards. No solid or privacy fences are permitted. Shadowbox fences up to four feet in height are permitted. A fence can be erected​ up to the property line, unless your home is on a corner​ or through lot. Other styles of fences are also permitted. For further information, call the zoning officer at 412-343-3468.


A mechanical permit is required for furnace installations. An electrical inspection may also be needed depending upon the scope of the replacement.


You need a mechanical permit if you are installing a new generator or replacing or relocating an existing one. You must also submit two copies of your property survey marked with the location of the generator.

Home Occupation

Mt. Lebanon allows home occupations in residential zoning districts. See section 618 and definition of No-Impact Home-Based Business under Chapter XX of Mt Lebanon Zoning Ordinance for more information and permit requirements.

Hot Tubs

All hot tubs/ spas must be inspected to confirm compliance with the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code. Find a  link to the code at An electrical inspection is required where grounding or additional circuits are installed. To obtain an electrical inspection, contact Middle Department Inspection Agency, 1-800-362-6342.


Plumbing inspections are done by Allegheny County Health Department, Plumbing Department . Contact Allegheny County Plumbing at 412-922-6196. Proof of approval will need sent to the inspection office.

Retaining Wall

Retaining walls between 2 and 4 feet in height require a ​grading permit. Walls greater than 4 feet in height require​ a building permit along with stamped engineered drawings. Submit two copies of your property survey marked with the location of the walls along with engineer drawings.


A building permit is required only when structural repairs are made to a residential roof. All commercial roof repairs or replacements require a permit.


All new or modified signs, even painted signs, require a permit. Illuminated signs also require an electrical inspection. Signs can’t be placed anywhere that will impair safe walking or driving. If you have any specific questions about sign regulations, call 412-343-3468.

Storage Sheds

A permit is required for any storage shed. With the zoning permit application, submit two copies of your property survey showing the location of the proposed construction. Storage sheds are not allowed in a front setback. All sheds must meet setback requirements, five feet from property line. Only one storage shed is allowed per property.

Stormwater Management

All projects that add new impervious surface greater than 500 square feet, or disturb more than 500 square feet of area, will require stormwater management. Refer to Part 3 of Chapter XIII in the Mt. Lebanon Municipal
Code for more information. Call the inspection office with questions, 412-343-3408.

Swimming Pools

A building/swimming pool permit application is required for all​ temporary, above ground, and in-ground swimming pools. Along with the application, provide two copies of your property survey showing the location of the pool ​and two copies of documentation showing compliance with the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC). A link to the code can be found on the Mt. Lebanon website, An additional fence permit may be required. Electrical inspections are obtained and performed by Middle Department Inspection Agency at 1-800-362-6342.

Apartment building on Beverly Road.Windows

If you are replacing single-family residential windows, you will need a permit only if the replacement changes the size of the opening, or if you need to make structural changes to the house. All multifamily and commercial building window replacements require building permits.

The Building Permit Application Process

Applications can be downloaded from or may be obtained from the Mt. Lebanon Customer Service Center, 710 Washington Road, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Along with the application, you must include two copies of detailed building plans and two copies of your to-scale property survey, indicating where on the property the work will be done. All applications must be completed in their entirety and signed. For projects with more than one permit application, each application shall have its own accurate estimated cost. Complete permit applications are reviewed on a first-come first-serve basis. Once the building inspector reviews and approves the application, you will be notified by phone ​or email that the permit is ready and the total cost. The permit and a copy of the stamped approved plans can then be picked up at the customer service center on the first floor of the municipal building between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Pay by cash, Visa, Mastercard or by check made out to Mt. Lebanon, PA.

Approved permit cards must be prominently displayed in a window visible from the street. Copies of the stamped approved plans with the inspector’s notes must be on the construction site at all times.

If your construction project requires the use of a Dumpster, placing it on the street requires a permit through the police traffic division at 412-343-4086. Call for details. Placing a Dumpster on your property does not require a permit as long as it doesn’t encroach onto any municipal sidewalk.