shop small business saturday
Community businesses and large financial institutions aren’t the most likely of pairs, but Small Business Saturday, a nationwide drive to shop local on the Saturday following Thanksgiving, has American Express to thank. In 2010, they launched their first campaign to encourage shoppers to spend their dollars where they count. Now in its fifth year, Small Business Saturday has caught on; according to American Express, over $5 billion was spent at small businesses in 2012. On November 29, Small Business Saturday returns to Mt. Lebanon for the second year and local businesses, along with the Mt. Lebanon Municipality, are offering shoppers some incentives for stopping by.
Shoppers can look forward to the following:
- Free on-street parking in Mt. Lebanon business districts all day Saturday (both Beverly Road and Washington Road)
- Rollier’s is offering an in-store coupon for 10 percent off Christmas items
- Ona Boutique is offering special sales and extended hours
- Salon Vivace will give those who buy a $100 gift certificate an additional $20 gift certificate
- Create a Frame/Handworks Gallery is offering up to 50 percent off items in the gallery and having their Holiday Open House
According to Eric Milliron, “Small Business Saturday is critical because this is the time of year many independent businesses make a profit for the year. These dollars support local people who are not just shop owners, but friends and neighbors. Their shops and restaurants are often their sole source of income to pay the mortgage, buy food and raise families. Shopping local supports these families in a meaningful way.”
Keep an eye on the social media pages of your favorite local businesses for more promotions and deals on Saturday.